Where is Quincy Granite?
The Gazing Ball, a shining sphere of Quincy Granite moved from Constitution Common outside city hall to it's new temporary location, still in constitution common, to make way for the Adams Green. Which will run between city hall and the Church of the Presidents.
At the town meeting of February 9, 1844 a committee was chosen to procure a suitable plan for a new Town House of wood or stone. On April 18, 1844 Solomon Willard was added to the building committee and accepted the appointment of architect and superintendent of construction. A town meeting was called on April 20, 1844 to reconsider the vote of a previous meeting to build the new Town House of wood and now that it be built of stone. Construction began on April 27, 1844 and was completed on November 1, 1844
The Inclined Plane Railway designed and built by Gridely Bryant in 1828 for the Granite Railway Conpany. Its purpose was to transport granite down from Pine Hill Ledge to the Granite Railway for transport to the wharf at Gullivers Creek and the Neponset River for shipment by granite sloops.
The beautiful granite entrance to the new Central Middle School auditorium originally was the north entrance of the old Central Middle School. It was determined by the City of Quincy that this impressive Quincy granite entrance should be incorporated into the new Central Middle School. The contractor carefully disassembled the entrance and reassembled it at the entrance to Central's new auditorium. The doorway entrance is light to medium Quincy granite witih a beautifully carved laurel wreath and cornucopias. The granite manufacturer and sculptor is unknown to date.