Current Events & Happenings
January Meeting 2016
Please join the Museum for viewing two
DVD's acquired from the Commonwealth Museum from their 1996 Granite Legacy display featuring father James Skehan S.J.,Geology Professor and Director Emeritus,Boston College,discussing the granites of Massachusetts. Commenting on the DVD's will be museum membe Les Tyrala a registered geologist who will add additional information on the granite of the area.Wednesday,January 6th, 7 PM Ward Four Community Center 100 Brooks Avenue,South Quincy. For any additional information,call the museum at 617-472-1322
December 2nd Meeting
The Quarry Museum's December meeting featured a PowerPoint presentation by Tom Bonomi on the Granite Railway with over 30 in attendance. On display around the hall where interpretive posters with pictures and maps of the Granite Railway. Displayed also were tools used in the construction of the railroad and models of the rail construction. At the close of the meeting Doug Bingham presented the museum with a rare copy of the book printed in 1865 title "Memoirs of Solomon Willard" architect and superintendent of the Bunker Hill Monument that will a great addition to the museum's library collection. Photo Doug Bingham center presenting museum historian Tom Bonomi with a copy of the book.
Please join us for a power point presentation by museum member Tom Bonomi. The presentation will tell the story and history of the Granite Railway, the first commercial railroad in America. Tom has done extensive research and is well versed on the railway. On display will be artifacts and interpretive information related to the railway. The meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 2, 7:00 PM, Ward Four Community Center, 100 Brooks Avenue, South Quincy.
November 4th Meeting
Wednesday, November 4, 2015 @ 7pm
Please join the Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum for a power point presentation on the archaeological work done by archaeologist Richard Muzzrole. Richard Muzzrole unearthed single-handedly the remains of the Granite Railway, the first commercial railroad in America. The museum has digitized over 300 of his slides that were given to the Quincy Quarry & Granite Workers Museum and the Quincy Historical Society before his death.
Ward 4 Community Center
100 Brooks Avenue
South Quincy, MA
Massachusetts Archaeology Month and Quincy Quarry Museum
Saturday -October 17th 10am-3pm
Please join the Quincy Quarry & Granite Workers Museum as we celebrate Massachusetts Archaeology Month at the Lyons Turning Mill. The Lyons Turning Mill, part of Quincy's rich granite history, is on the National and State Register of Historic places. The museum will open the mill site with photos and display artifacts of when the mill was in operation in 1893. Tours of the site and interpretive information on artifacts scattered through out the area will be part of the open house on Saturday, October 17th 10:00 am to 3:oo pm.
event rescheduled from October 3rd
The Museum held a geology and splitting of Quincy granite at the Lyons Quarry and Turning Mill site. Museum member geologist Les Tyrala gave a very informative presentation on the geology of Quincy granite. The granite splitting activity led by museum members Al Bina and Tom Bonomi was a great success and enjoyed by all.
Massachusetts Archaeology Month and Quincy Quarry Museum
Please join the Quincy Quarry & Granite Workers Museum as we celebrate Massachusetts Archaeology Month at the Lyons Turning Mill. The Lyons Turning Mill, part of Quincy's rich granite history, is on the National and State Register of Historic places. The museum will open the mill site with photos and display artifacts of when the mill was in operation in 1893. Tours of the site and interpretive information on artifacts scattered through out the area will be part of the open house on Saturday, October 3rd from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. Rain date Saturday, October 17th 10:00 am to 3:oo pm.
Please join the museum for a power point presentation on "Quincy granite, what is Quincy granite, what made Quincy granite, where did Quincy granite come from, how did Quincy granite get here,what uncovered Quincy granite and what was the birth of Quincy's granite industry?" Wednesday,September 16th at 7:00 pm Ward Four Community Center 100 Brooks Avenue South Quincy.
Learn about the geology of Quincy granite from geologist Les Tyrala. What is Quincy granite, what made Quincy granite, where did Quincy granite come from, how did it get to Quincy and what uncovered Quincy granite? Also a hands on stone splitting of Quincy granite by attendees. Join us on Sunday, September 13th at 2:00 pm. For information on location of event and to register call the museum at 617-472-1322 and leave name and contact number. Call will be returned with information on location. Rain date for event Sunday, September 20th at 2:00 pm.
The Quarry Museum took part in the Quincy Chamber of Commerce Discover Quincy 50 Days of Freedom opening the Lyons Turning Mill. The museum conducted tours of the mill and grounds and displayed photos of the mill when it was in operation in 1894. Also on display were stone cutting tools of that era. Tom Bonomi, museum member, giving an introduction of the mill and tools used at the mill.
The Quarry Museum held the June meeting at the Ward Four Community Center South Quincy. Al Bina gave a power point presentation on Minot's Lighthouse with thirty in attendance. He and museum member Tom Bonomi addressed many questions from the attendees.
Please join the museum for a power point presentation on Cohasset's Minot's Ledge Lighthouse. Presentation will include the construction of the first lighthouse and its destruction and the replacement built of Quincy granite supplied by the Granite Railway Conpany. Public Invited. The meeting will be held on Wednesday, June 3rd, at 7:00 pm at the Ward Four Community Center,
100 Brooks Ave., South Quincy.
The Quarry Museum held the May meeting at the Ward Four Community Center with forty plus in attendance. Al Bina gave a brief power point presentation on the museum's happenings to date. Tom Bonomi then gave the main power point presentation titled "Tne Granite Railway Company 1829 thru 1940 and What Remains Today" On display were many photos related to the Granite Railway Company.
Thanks to all who made Cleaner Greener Day a success.Group photo L to R Al Bina, Jim Cooke, Dewey Schramm III, Dewey Schramm Jr., Tanya Stanford, Bob Romeri, Joyce Romeri and not in photo Lauren Chotalal.
The Quincy Quarry & Granite Workers Museum will participate in Quincy's 26th annual Cleaner Greener Day. For over twenty-five years, schools, companies, community organizations and residents have come together to clean our great city. The quarry museum has chosen the historic Inclined Plane Railway for the clen up. Join the museum for the clean up and also learn the history and view photos of the Inclined Plane Railway built by Gridley Bryant in 1829. The clean up will take place on Satueday, May 2nd from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm. At 12;30 pm Quincy Mayor Koch invites all who participated in Cleaner Greener to a free cook at Pageant Field. Please join the City of Quincy and the Quincy Quarry & Granite Workers Museum in participating in this wonderful event.
The Quincy Quarry & Granite Workers Museum will hold an open monthly meeting to inform members and the general public on the museum's progress moving forward. The museum will review on going projects that they are involved in and also future projects. A power point presentation will be given by museum member Tom Bonomi titled "The Granite Railway Company 1826 thru 1940 and What Remains Today". Historic photos of the Granite Railway Company will be on display. All are welcome on Wednesday, May 6th at 7:00 pm at the Ward 4 Community Center located at 100 Brooks Avenue, South Quincy.
Mark your calendar.The Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum will participate in the Massachusetts Historical Commission's, Massachusetts Archaeology Month October 2015. The quarry museum will open the historic Lyons Turning Mill and quarry site for tours of the grounds where historical artifacts are located on October 3rd. from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm with a rain date of October 17th. Photos of the mill when in operation in 1894 will be on display. Lyons Turning Mill is located on Quarry Hills Drive off Ricciuti Drive, West Quincy. For additional information call 1-617-472-1322
New signage erected at the Lyons Turning by the Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum. Thank you Quincy Community Preservation Committee for your support in our effort to preserve the mill.
Swingle's & Granite Railway Quarries & Inclined Plane Railway
Date Saturday, November 22nd
Rain Date Saturday, November 29th
Time 10:00 am
Meet in the parking lot at top of hill on Ricciuti Drive West Quincy
Interpretative information and historic photos at each stop on the walk showing what the quarry area looked like at the turn of the century. Quarry walk approximately one hour to one and one half hours.
The quarry walk will be over rocky terain and will be subject to weather conditions. For information call 617-472-1322
The Quarry Museum is participating in Amazon Smile, a web site operated by Amazon that lets customers enjoy the same wide selection of products, low prices and convenient features as Amazon.com. The difference is that when customers shop on Amazon Smile and log on to smile.amazon.com, the Amazon Smile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to the Quarry Museum. When first visiting Amazon Smile, you are prompted to select a charitable organization, choose Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum, and then continue shopping and .05% will be donated to the Museum. This is a great way to raise funds for the Museum. So encourage your family and friends to shop on line and support the Museum. Don't forget to log on to smile.amazon.com.
Quarry Museum Fund Raiser
Dining For Dollars at Bertucci's of Braintree, 412 Franklin Street, five corners Ph# 1-781-849-3066. When you present this coupon 15% of what you spend will be donated to the museum. Thursday October 23rd from 11:00 am to 10:00 pm for dine in, carry out or Delivery. Down load and print coupon or show coupon on your smart phone.
Lyons Turning Mill Site Tour Massachusetts Archaeology Month
Guided tours of the remains of the historic Lyons Turning Mill site and the surrounding Lyons Quarry area where artifacts of Quincy's granite industry can be seen. Interpretive information explaining the artifacts will be displayed. Informational tables will be set up with historical photos of Quincy's granite history. Saturday October 4, 10 am - 3 pm Quarry Hills Drive off Ricciuti Drive West Quincy. Rain date Saturday October 11.
The museum held a quarry walk on Saturday, June 21st. with members and non-members in attendance. Museum members Tom Bonomi and Al Bina introduced into the walk for the first time 12x17 in. historic photos of the area at each of the stops on the walk. The tour consisted of the Swingle, Granite Rail quarries and the Inclined Plane Railway built by Gridley Bryant for the Granite Rail Quarry Co.
The museum opened up the historic Lyons Turning Mill on the rain date Thursday, June 12th. for the public to view the capping stabilization work that was completed. Museum members were on hand to give tours and information on the history of the mill with accompanying historic photos of the mill in operation.
The museum will be having a summer quarry walk on Saturday, June 21st with a rain date of Sunday, June 22nd. The walk will include several historic granite industry quarry sites. The tour will consist of interpretative information and historic photos of what the area looked like at the turn of the century at each stop location on the walk. The walking tour is limited to 15 people for logistics. To register please call 617-472-1322 and leave your name and telephone number. the museum will contact individuals with information on time and meeting location.
The museum will open up the historic Lyons Turning Mill on the evening of Tuesday, June 10th from 6:00 to 8:00 pm for a tour of the mill. We encourage the general public to view the stabilization work that was undertaken by the museum. Funding for the stabilization came from Quincy's Community Preservation Commission and construction was by Northern Construction Service. Museum members will be on hand to give brief tours of the mill. Interpretive information and photos of the mill when in operation from 1894 to 1917 will be on display. The Lyons Turning Mill is located on Quarry Hills Drive off of Ricciuti Drive, West Quincy. If you have questions call the museum at 617-472-1322
April 1, 2014
May 4, 2014
.THE QUINCY PARK DEPARTMENT'S ENVIRONMENTAL TREASURES
IS QUINCY GRANITE NOW?
Sunday, May 4,
Join Al Bina and Tom Bonomi of the Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers
Museum on a walk around Quincy Center to discover what buildings contain
Quincy granite and learn some fascinating facts about quarrying in Quincy.
Meet in the parking lot of the Quincy Historical Society, 8 Adams Street. Rain
date: Saturday, May 10, 2 p.m. For more information and rain date
rescheduling, please call 617/472-0799.
The old Quincy City Hall is undergoing a complete restoration from the basement to the roof. The Quincy Quarry & Granite Workers Museum was given a walk through with members of the Quincy Community Preservation Committee by project architect Jim Edwards of Holmes and Edwards Inc. The project is being funded through Community Preservation Funding and scheduled for completion in 2015. The old city hall was built of Quincy granite by Solomon Willard the architect and building superintendent in 1844. The interior has been stripped down exposing the rough granite walls as shown in photos .
The Quincy Quarry & Granite Workers Museum will be having a winter quarry walk on Sunday December 29. The walk will include several historic sites. The tour will consist of interpretative information and historic photos of each stop location. Tour is liminted to 15 people. To register email with name and phone number at email@example.com or call 617-472-1322 . We will contact individuals with information on time and meeting place. The walk will be over rocky terrain and will be subject to weather and terrain conditions on walk day. Individuals will be notified of cancelation or resheduling.
The Quincy Quarry & Granite Workers Museum officially unveiled the interpretative signage erected by the Museum at the Granite Railway Company's Inclined Plane Railway located at the end of Mullin Avenue, West Quincy.
November 14, 2013
The Quincy Quarry & Granite Workers Museum has installed an interpretative sign at the base of the Inclined Plane Railway. The interpretative sign was designed by Benjamin Witunsky, Olivia Goldson and Theresa Hughes students in the Graphics Department of the Career and Technical Education of the Quincy Public Schools under instructor Aileen McGinnity. The rendering by local artist Ruth Haderski used reference material supplied by the museum. Funding for the project came from Quincy Arts Council supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council and the Quincy Quarry & Granite Workers Museum.
October 19, 2013
The Quincy Parks Department's Environmental Treasures Program tour of St, Mary's cemetery, Hall Place and the site of the first blast furnace with Steve Cantelli on Saturday October 19 , at 10:00 AM. Rain date 20th at 2:00 PM. Meet in the parking lot of St, Mary's church, 115 Crescent Street West Quincy.
September 1 thru September 30, 2013
Photo display of Quincy's granite industry history at the Thomas Crane Public Library, Quincy Center.
The Quincy Quarry and Workers Museum would like to thank the Thomas Crane Public Library for the opportunity to allow the Museum to set up our display.
October 5, 2013
The Quincy Quarry Museum will be participating in Massachusetts Archaeology Month with tours of the historic Granite Railway's Inclined Plane, part of the first commerical railroad in America. Historic photos and artifacts will be on display. Date Saturday, October 5, 10:00 to 3:00. Inclined Plane is located at the end of Mullen Avenue, West Quincy, rain date October 12, call for info at 617-472-1322.
September 19, 2013
Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum will present two power point presentations at the Quincy Historical Society, 8 Adams Street, Quincy Center on Thursday, September 19th, at 2:00 PM. An introduction presentation will be given by Al Bina on the Museum followed by a presentation on the Lyons Turning Mill by Tom Bonomi. The afternoon presentation is open to the public.
July 11, 2013c
June 1, 2013 - September 1, 2013
May 21, 2013
Quincy Quarry Museum will present two power point presentations at the Quincy Historical Society, 8 Adams Street, Quincy, on Tuesday, May 21st, at 7:30 P.M. An introduction presentation will be given by Al Bina on the museum followed by a presentation on the Lyons Turning Mill by Tom Bonomi. Presentation is open to the general public.
October 5, 2013
Quincy Quary Museum will give tours of the Inclined Plane Railway on Mullin Avenue , West Quincy on October 5th, 10 to 3 rain date October 12th. Interpretives, photos and artifacts will be displayed. Victor Campbell of the Mass Bay Railroad Enthusiasts will share his knowledge of the Inclined Plane and give tours of the Granite Railway built by Gridley Bryant in 1826.
May 18, 2013
Southern New England Chapter - Society for Industrial Archeology in conjunction with Fall River Mill Owner's Association, Saturday, May 18th as part of the Quequechan Bicentennial (1813-2013). Tour is free and open to the public, but pre-registration is required. Please contact Marc N. Belanger, SNEC-SIA president at: firstname.lastname@example.org or (508)837-5669 to register.
December 18, 2012
** The museum recently loss the window display in Quincy Center due to the revitalization of downtown Quincy, scheduled to begin in April. The entire block where the display was housed is scheduled to be razed.
The new window display in Quincy Center shows the story of the different modes of transportation of Quincy Granite through the years.
October 13, 2012
DATE & TIME:
Saturday, October 13 10am-2pm (Rain date Saturday, October 20)
Hills Drive, off of Ricciuti Drive
Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum, www.quincyquarrymuseum.org
Event consists of
continual guided tours of the remains of the historic Lyons Turning Mill site
and the surrounding Lyons Quarry area where artifacts of Quincy’s granite
industry can be seen. Interpretive information explaining the artifacts will be
displayed. Informational tables will be set up with historical photos of
Quincy’s granite history. Also on display will be information on the proposed
Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum to be built on a portion of the mill
October 24, 2012
General public invited. Update on museum business and power
point presentations on the stabilization of the walls of the Lyons Turning Mill
and The History of Quincy Granite. Meeting will be held Wednesday, October 24,
at 7 PM. at the Ward 4 Community Center, 100 Brooks Ave. South Quincy.
October 27, 2012
DATE & TIME:
Saturday, October 27, 10am-3pm (Rain date Sunday, October 28)
Reservation, Quincy Quarries
Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation
Get your hands
dirty with the DCR archaeologist. A brief introduction to the science of
archaeology will set the stage for a day of digging, washing, recording,
mapping, cataloguing and much more! Stay for an hour or the day. Bring lunch,
water and work-gloves. All ages welcome. Meet at the parking lot on Ricciuti
Drive. Call BHR Event Line at 617-698-1802 x 3 for cancellation information.
May 2012 Quincy High School-Graphic Arts and Visual Design
erected at the site of the historic Granite Railway's Inclined Plane Railway. The signage was designed by the students from the Graphic Arts and Visual Design class of Ms. Aileen Mc Ginnity at Quincy High School. Students (left to right) Benjamin Witunsky, Olivia Goldson and Theresa Hughes with instructor (second from left) Ms. Aileen Mc Ginnity.
Quincy Center, 1418 Hancock Street
The Quarry Museum's new window display in Quincy Center is on John Horrigan and his connection to the Titanic disaster of April 15, 1912 on the 100th anniversary. John Horrigan the Quincy sculptor of the Titanic Memorial statue which is located on the Potomac River in Washington D.C. is dedicated in memory "To all the brave men who perished in the wreck of the Titanic April 15 1912 they gave their lives that women and children might be saved" was carved in his stone shed on Federal Avenue, South Quincy. The display features history of the Titanic and photos of Horrigan at work on the statue and other photos related to Horrigan.
April 26, 2012
Stabilization work at Lyons Turning Mill - Complete
May 5, 2012, Saturday 9am-11am
May 10, 2012, Thursday
April 9, 2012
THE QUINCY PARK DEPARTMENT'S ENVIRONMENTAL TREASURES
PROGRAM and WARD 4 COUNCILOR BRIAN PALMUCCI
SUNDAY, MARCH 18, 2 P.M.(Raindate: March 25, 2 p.m.)
Joe Greene has spent 3 years researching and creating a documentary of the important people involved in operating the Swingle's Quarry (the documentary will premiere in Quincy later this year!). JoAnne Swingle Hennigan is the daughter and granddaughter of the two Swingles men who owned the Quarry. On this free walking tour, Joe and JoAnne will lead participants around the Quarry site sharing fascinating stories and old photos of its history. Meet at the parking lot for the quarries (from Willard Street, turn right on to Ricciuti Drive (towards the Granite Links Golf Course) and then enter first parking lot on right (1/4 mile up the hill). The tour will begin at the right end of the parking lot. Note: if you are coming from Furnace
Brook Parkway, you need to head north to cross overRoute 93.
For more information and raindate rescheduling, please call 617/472-0799
Stabilization work at the Lyons Turning Mill
by Folan Waterproofing and Construction Co. of So. Easton, MA. Progress will beupdated on our web site.
January 29, 2012
November 12, 2011
October 1, 2011
Massachusetts Historical Commission's "Step Back in Time With Massachusetts Archaeology Month 2011".
The Quarry Museum will conduct site tours of the
Inclined Plane Railway, a portion of the granite railway system, which was the first commercial railroad in the United States.
Date: Saturday, October 1.
Time: 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Rain date: Saturday, October 15.
Location: Mullin Ave. to dead end.
For more information call 617-472-1322
August 24, 2011
information to new location located at 1418 Hancock Street Quincy center.
June 14, 2011
Quarry Museum received the plaque from the bridge that spanned a portion of Swingle's Quarry that was constructed in 1904.
The plaque was donated by Virginia and Berine Sweeney in memory of Berine's father Bernard Sweeney and William Yuscavitch.
L to R Al Bina accepting plaque, Berine Sweeney his wife Virginia, Silvia Yuscavitch and Bill Yuscavitch.
Historical photo from the Thomas Crane Library's Parker Collection showing a quarry worker standing on the bridge next to the
June 14, 2011
Copeland and West Sts.
April 6, 2011 - Wednesday 7 - 9p
For more information call 617-472-1322 or email email@example.com
February 16, 2011 Presentation at Cohasset Historical Society
Presentation at Cohasset Historical Society The Museum will make a presentation on the proposed Museum and also the building of the Minot's Ledge Lighthouse and its connection to Quincy's Granite Railway Company. Date: February 16th at 7:30 Where: Cohasset Historical Society, 106 South Main Street, Cohasset .
Nov 13, 2010 Quarry Museum & DCR Quarry walk
Oct 24, 2010 Plymouth Digital Photo Club Tour
October 25, 2010 WATD 95.9FM Feature Series
October 20, 2010 Minots Light / Cohasset Historical Society
October 2, 2010 Archeology Month at the Lyons Turning Mill
Location: Quarry Hills Drive, Quincy.
For more information call 617-472-1322 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Archeology Month is sponsored the the Commonwealth of Massachausetts. This year's theme is "Unlocking the Past" information is available http://www.sec.state.ma.us/mhc
October 6, 2010 - Wednesday - 7pm
Cleaner Greener Quincy 2010
May, 2, 2010 - Sunday - The Quincy Park Department and The Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum present The History and Geology of Quincy Quarries with Al Bina, President Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum; Tom Bonomi, Local historian and Les Tyrala, Registered Geologist. PREREGISTRATION REQUIRED FOR THIS TOUR. PLEASE CALL 617-472-0799 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 617-472-0799 end_of_the_skype_highlighting TO PREREGISTER. This tour will explore the history of the Granite Railroad and the geology at three quarries to understand why the quarry companies chose this West Quincy location for such large-scale operations and why architects favored this stone. These quarries provided dimensional stone for significant structures as close as Quincy City Hall, Minot's Lighthouse and the Bunker Hill monument to as far away as the New Orleans and Savannah Custom houses. Additionally, we will look at glacial features that still remain at the edges of the quarries and learn about efforts to create a quarry museum. Participants must be able to climb up steep, narrow, rugged trails to the tops of the quarries. Hiking books are strongly recommended. Limited to 30 Participants. Meeting place will be provided at the time of registration. No raindate has been scheduled. However, registered participants should call 617-472-0799 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 617-472-0799 end_of_the_skype_highlighting after 1pm on Sunday for a recored announcement about inclement weather cancellation. The tour will last approximately 2 hours.
May 1, 2010 - Saturday - The Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum and Home Depot will join Cleaner, Greener Quincy on Saturday, May 1st to clean up the historic inclined plane railway, part of the Granite Railway the first commercial railroad in America. Please join us to clean the area and also learn the history of this historic site. Gloves, rakes and bags supplied by Cleaner, Greener Quincy and specialty tools to clean the rails will be donated by Home Depot. For more information call 617-472-1322 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 617-472-1322 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.
April 7, 2010 - Wednesday - 7pm - Join us for an open meeting for members & the public to learn about the propsed Quincy Quarry & Granite Workers Museum. We will be showing several DVDs of activities from the 1996 Commonwealth Museum's Exhibit titled "Granite The Enduring Legacy of Massachusetts". Original video of the granite industry throughtout Massachusetts was filmed by TC Fitzgerald, photographer from the Commonwealth Museum. Stonecutting, stonecutting tools & equipment & granite tool blacksmithing will be included in the presentation. The meeting will be held @ Ward 4 Community Center, 100 Brooks Ave, South Quincy, MA. For more information call 617-472-1322 or email email@example.com
March 18, 2010 - Read about the progress of the Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum tax exempt status in The Quincy Sun, page 13.
December 5 , 2009 - 1pm - QUINCY PARKS DEPARTMENT presents
ST. MARY'S CEMETERY, HALL PLACE AND THE REMAINS OF THE FIRST BLAST FURNACE with Stephen Cantelli (raindate 12/6 @1pm) This free tour will explre several fascinating sites in West Quincy: the remains of the first operational blast furnace in our country, a monument to Solomon Willard, te architect of the Bunker Hill Monument, and a cemetery that includes the gravesites of Civil War heros, a famous boxer, a person that died in the French & Indian Wars as well as many granite workers! We will view the amazing artistry of Quincy's granite workers displayed in the monuments and see some of Quincy's most beautiful trees. Meet in the parking lot of St Mary's Church, 115 Crescent St (from Hancock St, take Furnace Brook Pkwy West, turn right onto Crescent St (just before Copeland St) Because parking entrance is one way, turn right just beyond church and then right again behind church to parking lot)
November 21, 2009 - QATV @ 7pm. Conversations with Gus: guest Al Bina will speak on the Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum. Will be rebroadcasted 11/22 @2am & 1pm.
November 14, 2009 - 2pm - QUINCY PARKS DEPARTMENT'S ENVIRONMENTAL TREASURES PROGRAM presents THE GEOLOGY OF SQUAW ROCK with LES TYRALA, Registered Geologist. (Raindate 11/15 @ 2pm) This free tour will look at the ancient bedrock exposd as well as more recent glacial features. Bring binoculars if you have them since we may also see some harbor seals or interesting birds. Meet in the parking lot by the Nickerson Post (take E Squantum St to Dorchester Ave Turn left into parking lot before guard house) Wear sturdy footwear for walking the rocky beach. For more information and rain date rescheduling, call 617 472 0799 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 617 472 0799 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
November 7, 2009 - 1pm - The Department of Conservation and Recreation presents: Quincy Quarries: Taken for Granite. Meet @ quarry parking lot on Ricciuti Drive, West Quincy @1pm. Ranger led tour of the Quincy Quarries beginning @ Bunker Hill Quarry. For more information contact the DCR 617 698 1802 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 617 698 1802 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.
October 8, 2009 - 12 noon - The Quincy Quarry & Granite Workers Museum will give a presentation on the proposed museum to be located at the Lyons Turning Mill located on Quarry Hills Drive in West Quincy. The presentation will be given at noon at Christ Church Quincy, 12 Quincy Avenue, Quincy in the downstairs hall. The presentation is hosted by the Ladies Guild. The public is welcomed to attend.
October 7, 2009 - 7pm - Join us at an open meeting for members and the public to learn about the proposed Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum. Our guest speaker for the evening will be Mr. Vic Campbell of the Mass Bay Railroad Enthusiasts. Mr. Campbell will give a presentation, The Granite Railway "Quarry-to-Wharf". Over the years Mr. Campbell has gained extensive knowlege of railroading and quarrying in the West Quincy and Milton area. Mr. Campbell also conducts guided tours throughout the year. Please join us for what will be an interesting evening. The meeting will be held @ 7pm, Ward Four Community Center, 100 Brooks Ave., South Quincy. For more information call 617 472 1322 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 617 472 1322 end_of_the_skype_highlighting .
September 24, 2009 - 9am - Several members of the Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum will be guests on Quincy Access Television AM with Joe Catalano on Thursday September 24th at 9:00 AM. The discussion will focus on the proposed museum at the Lyons Turning Mill site. Members will give an update on the progress to date. The AM program airs on Channel 8 Quincy Access Television. Be sure to tune in the interview with members of the museum will be informative and interesting.
September 1, 2009 - The Quincy Quarry & Granite Workers Museum recently celebrated its first anniversary of incorporation. A sign was erected at the proposed location of the QuarryMuseum at the Lyons Turning Mill on Quarry Hills Drive, WestQuincy. This site was chosen by its members because of the many advantages that the site has to offer. Many positive comments have been received on the sign’s design. The silhouette design on the sign was courtesy of the CommonwealthMuseum. See a picture of our new sign on the "Future Home" page of our web page.
August 20, 2009 - Read about the progress of Quincy Quarry and Granite Workers Museum in the August 20, 2009 edition of The Quincy Sun Newspaper on page 15. A informative article written by Laura Griffen.